Project duration: January 2017 - October 2019
Donor: Caritas Slovenia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Slovenia
Partners: Caritas Vrhbosanska Archdiocese, Caritas diocese Banja Luka, Caritas Diocese Mostar - Duvno and Trebinje - Mrkan
Beneficiaries: Vulnerable Groups of Women in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Goal: To empower women in BiH to face different problems, empower them with new skills and assist them in job search, thereby improving their living conditions and their position in the family and society.
The project deals with issues of poverty and social exclusion of women in Bosnia and Herzegovina, where a third of the population lives below the poverty line. Since the 1990s, apart from the geopolitical changes due to the war (1992-95), BiH has experienced many changes in the psychosocial stability of people since the migration and heavy postwar period. This has greatly affected the economy. The result is a high unemployment rate: 24.5%. Women's employment in BiH is only 36% due to lower employment opportunities, discrimination, but often due to lower levels of education than men, or lack of opportunities for education and learning for a particular profession. The unstable financial situation leads to the destruction of many families, children are exposed to bad care, school problems, young people migrate to EU countries. Women feel insecure because of poverty, exclusion, they have no choice in the family and society, are often victims of violence (every second woman) and trafficking.
The project refers to the economic and social empowerment of vulnerable groups of women in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the continuation of the project, which lasted from 2014 to 2016, financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Slovenia. Activities will include women without professional qualifications, unemployed, with marital problems, etc. In order to improve their situation, they will receive further training. Caritas staff and volunteers will conduct workshops twice a month in each region to raise awareness, engage in discussions on topics such as rights, nonviolence, health, etc., and skills learning to improve women's competitiveness in the labor market. Thirty socially endangered women will get professional training. Professional staff of the Caritas Centers (Sarajevo, Mostar and Banja Luka) twice a week will provide individual counseling and family counseling once a week.
- Training of Caritas employees and volunteers for the permanent provision of psychosocial assistance and empowerment of women in BiH
- Implementation of thematic workshops and preparation of brochures with practical tips to improve the social and professional skills of vulnerable groups of women from Sarajevo, Mostar and Banja Luka.
- Regularly conduct individual counseling for women and family therapies, which are in various disadvantages, at the Caritas Counseling Centers in Sarajevo, Mostar and Banja Luka.
- Provide training opportunities for unemployed women
- Preparation of good practice manuals for the further implementation of workshops
Total Project Value:
108.298,25 EUR / 211.812,97 KM
Tel: 033 206442
Fax: 033 204668